This entails the restoration of normal life after addiction recovery, long-term or incapacitating
illness, accidents, or imprisonment. At St Nicholas Rehabilitation and Nursing Home, we
offer the following; rehabilitation, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, and speech therapy,
Drug Addiction/ Drug Abuse Rehabilitation
We specialize in drug rehabilitation which is the process of medical or psychotherapeutic
treatment for dependence on psychoactive substances and street drug
Psychoactive substance includes;
- Prescription drugs
- Cannabis (marijuana/bhang)
We help the patient seize substance abuse to avoid psychological, legal financial, social and
physical consequences that can be caused by extreme abuse. We also help the patient to
overcome various psychological disorders such as;
- Anxiety disorders.
- Depression, bipolar disorders and other mood disorder.
- Eating disorder.
- Personality disorder.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Psychotic disorder.
- Antisocial disorder.
STAGES OF REHABILITATION PROCESS- INCEPTION TO COMPLETION.
- Orientation and application-This is where the intended client
is familiarized with the whole process and given guidance on how to enroll to the
rehabilitation center. The intended client is also given information on the application
requirements to apply.
- Intake appointment-This is the interview process that serves
verify substance abuse
- Eligibility determination-This is a process where we
determine if someone is really qualified for the services being offered.
- Admission and assessment-At this stage, a record of the
client's history is provided followed by physical examination and
a complete psychological evaluation.
- Co-occurring disorder and dual diagnosis-this is where
symptoms predating a specific mental disorder and substance abuse or any kind of addiction
is diagnosed. Such
includes depression ,anxiety and others
- Individual treatment plan-This is where the course of
treatment is outlined and
defined. It delineates the goals, objectives and resources of an individual
- Detoxification- this is the process of removing addictive
substances from the
body under medical supervision
- Treatment plan-At this stage, a detailed treatment plan is
given to the
patient and the they are engaged in the treatment process. The plan includes, clients
information, diagnosis prescriptions and measurement objectives
- Inpatient/outpatient and partial hospitalization.
- Therapy –this includes, rehab therapy, individual therapy,
family therapy and
- Employment services-St Nicholas Rehabilitation Center aims at
avoiding relapse at all cost hence we find out what the clients are skilled in after
completing the rehabilitation process. We offer them direct or indirect employment, as well
financing their talents and business enterprises. At this stage, we partner with RITI
Association’ a project of St Nicholas rehabilitation and Nursing Home to achieve the best
- Aftercare services-This is a follow up treatment stage to
an individual doesn't relapse and stay focused on his or her recovery. This is done by group
advising on sober living and being joined to a support groups.
We have a skilled and knowledgeable personnel consisting of nursing aides that provide the
medical care. Our nursing home operates daily on a 24 hour system. The facility also offers
care for the critically ill, patients with chronic sickness, HIV/Aids or the disabled as
custodial care for routine tasks such as bathing, getting dressed, eating and so on.
Other important services offered are as follows;
- Room and board- this is where meals, home stays and medical care is offered
- Monitoring and education- patient activities are monitored closely hence
to help in recovery
- Personal care
- 24 hours emergency care
- Social and recreational activities such as games which include, football,
netball etc and entertainment activities that include, watching motivational and
movies, music that create positive impact to a client. We also encourage patients to
participate in group talks to encourage each other. We also have a library services
- Health related issues such as chronic pains diabetes, irritable bowel
This service involves counseling on the 12 steps to recovery. There are various types of counseling
offered which includes; addiction counseling ,child counseling, family counseling and psychological
counseling, mental health counseling , substance abuse counseling education counseling and marriage
The experts on counseling are keen in following the stages of
change which are;
- Pre-contemplation - This is where the patient has
not yet come to
terms with the fact that he or she needs help. This can take up to six months
because the patient is unaware of his or her problematic behaviors. The counselor
encourages the re-evaluation of the current behavior and self –exploration so that
the patient is given a clear picture of how their behavior is harmful.
- Contemplation - This is where the pros of behavioral
known to the patient and he or she focuses on it. Then the counselor encourages and
promote positive outcome as required.
- Action -This is where the patient practice the
behavior usually between 3 to 6 months depending on their improvements. The
counselor encourages social support, bolsters self-efficiency for dealing with
obstacles and helps the client to combat their feelings of loss to reinstate long
- Maintenance - This is where the client has accepted
and made a positive
change in their lifestyle and is working to avoid relapse. The counselor make a
follow up on the client to avoid relapse, reinforce internal rewards and plan a way
forward after counseling sessions are over. This can take up to 5 years.
- After care -The counselor evaluates the triggers of
motivation and barriers to successful full recovery and plan stronger coping
We deal with diagnosis prevention study, treatment and management of mental disorders. Such mental
Examples are; adjustment disorder anxiety, Bipolar, Depression, obsessive compulsive
panic disorder, post –traumatic disorder, phobia/fear, somatic symptom disorder and
This is a brain disease manifested by obsessive and excessive substance use. The
abused includes alcohol, prescription drugs, cocaine, heroin marijuana or bhang and etc.
symptoms of substance abuse include strong cravings to use the substance abused , social
relations problems where one loses focus on important societal activities and drug
Neurocognitive disorders such as dementia, stroke, traumatic brain injury, schizophrenia
borderline personality disorders and Autism spectrum disorder
Other psychological disorders which are anger management issues, grief and bereavement,
relationship issues, stress and burnout.
Our specialists are skilled and knowledgeable on how to counsel and carry out HIV/AIDS tests. We
follow the following procedure, i.e.
Pre-test Counseling Process
- Reason for testing
- Symptoms or the presence of risk behavior
- Imparting basic information on HIV, including HIV transmission
- Personal risk assessment. It is undertaken to understand the nature and time course of
- Feedback of possible results in relations to personal risk assessment
- Assessment and discussion regarding capacity to cope with potential positive results
- Assessment of potential support requirements
- Development of a personal risk reduction plan
- Provision of HIV test information
- Informed consent
- Follow up arrangement for collection of result and other referrals e.g. STI treatment
Post Test Counseling
Counseling for HIV negative patients
Counseling for HIV negative patients
- An explanation of the test results including information about the window period for the
appearance of HIV antibodies and a recommendation to re-test in case of a recent exposure
- Basic advice on methods to prevent HIV transmission, including avoiding the use of
non-sterilize needles syringes or other injecting equipments
- Access to drug dependence treatment and its effectiveness
- Guidance on the use of condoms, safe injecting advice( if possible, an appropriate supply of
condoms, sterile needles/ syringes and other commodities should be provided)
- The appropriate time for follow up test, based on the risk assessment and ongoing risk behavior.
- Inform the client of the results simply and clearly, and give them time to consider it.
- Ensure the client understands the results.
- Allow the client to ask questions.
- Assist the client in coping with the emotions arising from the test results.
- Discuss immediate concerns and assist the client in determining what social network will be
acceptable and available to offer immediate support.
- Describe follow up services that are available in the health facility and in the community,
paying special attention to OI/HIV treatment, PMTCT, and care and support services.
- Provide information on how to prevent the transmission of HIV, including provision of sterile
needles, syringes and condoms, and guidance on their use.
- Provide information on other relevant preventive measures, such as good nutrition, use of co-
trimoxazole, profylaxis and, if appropriate insecticide treated bed net and OST.
- Discuss disclosure of the results – when and how this happened, and to whom.
- Encourage testing and counseling of partners and children.
- Provide advice on other pathological test that may be appropriate (such as for live function.
hepatitis B and C serology, pregnancy, X-RAY, sputum for acid-fast bacilli [AFB]).
- Assess the risk of violence, drug overdose or suicide, and discuss possible measures to ensure
the physical safety of clients, particularly women who are diagnosed HIV positive.
- Arrange a specific date and time for follow up visits of referral to treatment, care,
counseling, support and other services as appropriate( e.g. screening for and treatment of TB,
prophylaxis for OIs, STI treatment, contraception, antenatal care, OST, hepatitis B and C
screening, and access to supplies of condoms and sterile needles /syringes).
- Consider introducing the client to relevant team members who may be involved in future care.
SCHOOL OF COUNSELLING PSYCHOLOGY
Counseling psychology is a specialty within a professional psychology that maintains a focus on
facilitating personal and interpersonal functioning across the lifespan of an individual. The
specialty pays particular attention to emotional, social, vocational, educational, health related
developmental at organizational consent. At St Nicholas Rehabilitation and Nursing Home, we are
befitted to offer this course and majorly deal with addiction counseling to produce the best
counseling psychologists who can work well with individuals and groups to improve their mental
encourage clients to discuss their issues, examine issues to do with substance abuse and alcoholism,
bullying, depression and many other psychological issues.
SECONDARY EDUCATION AND INDUSTRIAL TRAINING INSTITUTE
Technical training--This training is offered to our clients only to help them gain skills and
knowledge which will in turn increase their employability tendency hence avoiding relapses
Secondary education--This is also offered to our clients especially those who dropped out of
school. This reassures the client of their continuity of education during the rehabilitation